How to Provide Care at Home for an Obstinate Sibling

By 9  am on

tips to Provide Care at Home for an Obstinate Sibling in Park Cities, TX

Taking care of a senior who is cooperative and appreciates your help is already challenging enough. Your task may become even more difficult when you’re trying to take care of a sibling who doesn’t want your help. Fortunately, there are a few ways to make your job easier. If your sibling is being extremely stubborn about you providing care, use the following tips to address the issue. 

Be More Relaxed

Once you take on the responsibility of caring for your sibling, it may be tempting to try to completely rearrange his or her life. Keep in mind that being bossed around might make your sibling more frustrated. Relax and let your sibling do what he or she wants as long as it’s safe. Even if his or her actions seem illogical or inefficient, it may be best to take a hands-off approach. Regardless of how your sibling is acting, he or she will want to be treated like an adult. 

As your sibling faces new challenges and age-related changes, he or she may accept some forms of care and refuse others. Every senior has different needs when aging in place. Some simply need occasional assistance with household chores, while others may be managing serious illnesses and require more extensive live-in care. University Park seniors can count on Home Care Assistance to provide the in-home care they need and deserve.

Talk with a Third Party

When you begin taking care of an uncooperative sibling, you may need to have a lot of difficult, blunt discussions about his or her needs and desires. Speaking with a sibling can often bring up a lot of past resentments that make it difficult to have effective conversations. It may be helpful to bring in an unbiased person to monitor and guide your talks. Having a therapist, pastor, or counselor present can guide you through conversations about your sibling’s changing care needs.

Bring in a Professional to Help

Many seniors are uncooperative because they find it awkward or uncomfortable to have siblings help them with personal matters. If you’re in this situation, consider hiring a professional caregiver instead of doing all the caregiving yourself. Many seniors find it easier to accept help from someone who takes care of others professionally. Hiring an in-home caregiver is also a good idea because it lets you take a break so you don’t become depressed or frustrated. 

If you’re the primary family caregiver for an elderly loved one and need additional assistance providing high-quality senior care, Home Care Assistance can help. We are a leading home care agency committed to changing the way seniors age.

Talk to a Lawyer

Speaking with a lawyer should be a last resort, since it could lead to a lot of strife between you and your sibling. However, in situations where your sibling truly needs help and refuses it, it may be necessary to talk to a lawyer about getting guardianship over your sibling. Becoming a guardian allows you to manage your sibling’s finances and healthcare if he or she becomes incapacitated. It’s a long, drawn-out process that will require proving your sibling is unable to take care of him or herself, but having legal guardianship may make your job easier in the long run. 

Families who need help caring for senior loved ones can turn to Home Care Assistance, a leading provider of University Park at-home care. Services available in our customizable care plans include meal prep, mental and social stimulation, assistance with personal hygiene tasks, and much more. Reach out to us at Home Care Assistance if you need compassionate professional home care for your loved one. Call one of our dedicated Care Managers today at (214) 363-3400 to learn about the high quality of our in-home care services.


    Request Free Information or
    Schedule a Free in-Home Consultation